Wednesday, September 17, 2014
Artificial sweeteners are changing your gut microbiota!
Recent studies have shown that artificial sweeteners could actually hasten the development of glucose intolerance and metabolic disease. One of the experiments that was done was that mice were given water laced with the three most commonly used artificial sweeteners. The result was that the mice developed glucose intolerance, but when they were given antibiotics to get rid of most of their gut microbes, they could digest sugars normally again. The next thing they did was transfer some of the microbiota from the mice that had consumed artificial sweetener into sterile mice, and it produced the same effects. Upon closer examination of the mice's gut microbiota, it was apparent that there was a great change in bacterial populations. The sweeteners also caused the bacteria to secrete a substance that cause a inflammatory response similar to that of glucose intolerance. Because the sweetener affects the body's ability to process sugar, it is believed to contribute to diabetes. These findings are important because of the fact that the use of artificial sweeteners is so wide spread that it is going to be hard to warn people of th risks. The article wasn't specific as to what kinds of foods are sweetened artificially but I know that a common one is diet sodas. Now I for one don't drink diet sodas, but this article makes me wonder what other foods that could be putting me at risk for developing glucose intolerance.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

The consumption of artificial sweeteners and sugar substitutes such as high fructose corn syrup have reached epidemic proportions. It is frightening to think that humans continuously ingest such substances even while increasing information over the years has stated that it causes cancer and previously unknown (to me) glucose intolerance/metabolic disease. With high fructose corn syrup being composed of so many carbon molecules with bonds that our bodies as humans are unable to break down, it causes build-up of harmful chemicals and substance within. Do artificial sweeteners do something similar as well as affecting us with the stated afflictions? I often wonder if/how microbes play a role in helping our body ultimately break down these harmful substances for our lasting health. While the gut microbiota was influenced by the artificial sweeteners, would it be heavily influenced by harmful sugar substitutes such as high fructose? High fructose might cause a similar effect of causing the microbes to secrete (substance) and cause an inflammatory response. In most of the stores I go to, I find vast amounts products with these ingredients. As disgusting as I think it is, people continuously consume without thought of the long term effects. Although, with increased awareness many seek healthy alternatives, leading to the rise of health-food stores, etc. This topic is an important thing for all of us to consider.
ReplyDeleteIndeed.....as I sit here drinking my diet coke and contemplating how this may have made me insulin resistant. Okay, you all have convinced me to give up Diet Coke. I actually poured the rest of it down the sink as I read your and Suyent's blogs! Thanks for enlightening me!
ReplyDelete